Saturday, October 11, 2008

No-BOW-ma

“O peoples, nations and men of every language: As soon as you hear the sound of…all kinds of music, you must fall down and worship the image of gold...Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace.” (From Daniel 3)

I work in Downtown Brooklyn...which actually has some similarities to Babylon. Everywhere I turn are Obama tee-shirts, Obama hats—Obama this’s, Obama thats. Banners, books, undies, candy—and just a lot of other paraphernalia. Truth be told, I would be afraid to walk in that neighborhood with a NObama, or McCain/Palin shirt. One gentleman in particular has an Obama stand just outside the door of my building where people gather to savor and purchase ObamaWear. All kinds of stuff praising Obama, and I pity the fool who doesn’t pay homage at this hub of the image of Obama.

Am I in awe of Obamamania? Yes. Yes, I am. I am beside myself of how so many devotees he has accumulated without having (a) parted the Red Sea (b) served in any executive office (c) freed any slaves (d) led any marches in Birmingham or otherwise (e) been in the military (f) hit any game winning homeruns. He hasn’t even sung with Julio Iglesias or Menudo and yet, “Fainting has become common at Obama rallies. When Mr. Obama eventually takes the platform to rhythmic chants of his mantra-like slogan, ‘Yes we can, yes we can!’ fans swoon with euphoria.” As reports William Lowther from Telegraph.co.uk.com. Joe Klein, veteran political commentator, adds there is “something just a wee bit creepy about the mass messianism.” Could this just be a case where the simple or unlearned are unprotected from this man’s charisma and magic? I think not. Moments after Obama accepted the nomination for president before an estimated 84,000 people, Oprah Winfrey said, "I cried my eyelashes off…I think it's the most powerful thing I have ever experienced," calling Obama's words "transcendent." I have never seen this kind of elation for a Presidential candidate since…well…ever. It makes me wonder if he walks on water. After all, Ezra Klein of the American Prospect writes that Obama’s speeches, “elevate” and “enmesh you in a grander moment, as if history has stopped…” He Continues, “He is not the Word made flesh, but the triumph of word over flesh, over color, over despair." Um…this is not normal journalistic praise. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, called him "a leader that God has blessed us with at this time." Susan Milligan (Boston Globe) reports on “Obama worship”: “Crowds clamor to get close to him, reaching to touch him.”

Ironically, of Jesus, the true Messiah, St. John wrote that the world received him not. Jesus was mocked and scorned and deemed unacceptable by society. Indeed, he said that his kingdom is not from this world. He said, “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.” In true maverick fashion, when Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were ordered to do what everybody around them did, that is, worship the image of Nebuchadnezzar, they said, “Nope. Not gonna bow, O King.” They stood by what they knew: There is one God. One Lord. One Savior of men. One who will get us through economic trials. One who will prosper us. One who will grant us peace. Begin whine phrases here: “But everybody else around them bowed!” “But all the TV stations were going to carry the bowing before the king and I don’t wanna be an odd ball! “But they were all wearing King Neb Rules robes!” The servants of God said, “If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

Ladies and gentlemen, my own audacious HOPE, is that the people of God never follow the lead of the world or any world leader simply because the “music plays” and everybody else hops on the bandwagon.

2 comments:

debrah said...

I share your hope and do pray for the body of Christ...I keep coming back to the thought that Judgment begins at the church...I have had II chronicles 7:14 on my heart and prayers for some time and am so excited when I hear of people such as Lou Engle who are seeking the Lord on behalf of our nation...will continue to press on...but I don't see the church moving toward repentance...

Memoirs Of a Broken Soldier said...

1 I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. 5 For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. 6 He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time.

1 Timothy 2